The municipality of São Paulo first inventoried greenhouse gases (GHG) in 2005.
The second inventory prepared by GEOKLOCK included:
- Assessment of major GHG municipality inventories worldwide;
- Survey and definition of methodology;
- Data survey;
- Calculation of emissions;
- Development of scenarios;
- Recommendations of public policies;
- Study for emissions removal per water body.
Data survey was one of the major challenges of this study, due to the complexity and range of the tasks developed in the municipality and covered in the inventory.
An uncertainty analysis was structured for each sector inventoried. GEOKLOCK also suggested a plan for the improvement of future accounting.
The efforts also included the presentation of the findings in public hearings, and workshops for the development of the scenarios, with the participation of various city departments and universities.